Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I'd STILL rather live in Greensburg than Wichita.

Kind of a weird image from Greensburg. That's yours truly at the bottom of the picture.

We were watching the news this evening to see the President in Greensburg and it is funny because all of the news from Greensburg has an underlying hope and niceness to it, from the museum curator excited about the new tornado exhibit they will have next to the meteorite to the Mayor asking "who wouldn't want to live in a brand new town?" to the upbeat elderly woman who promised God that if he spared her she wouldn't "be a whiner" to the school district making sure all the kids get to their sporting events and announcing the time (11 AM) for graduation on the 19th. In fact the only discouraging word I have heard from a Greensburg resident was from a self proclaimed Nebraskan planning to return home for good (and good riddance.)
Anyways the nightly news can only talk about Greensburg for so long before they feel it necessary to discuss the various and sundry crimes and vices which inhabit Wichita on a daily basis. We couldn't watch past the tornado coverage, it got all depressing after that.

12 Comments:

Blogger mllr said...

Wow, front page of the Southwest Kansas Faith and Family...impressive. I need a copy of your tour dates.

8:40 AM, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger Susan said...

Don't forget to eat at Pizza Hut today. 20 percent of profits at all Pizza Huts go to Greensburg today.

10:23 AM, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger Jenny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:46 PM, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger Jenny said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:58 PM, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger lobiwan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:11 PM, May 10, 2007

 
Blogger lobiwan said...

OK sorry about all the deleted comments, but I had a pretty bad evening and was in a pretty bad mood. What is really funny is that I started my crazy rampage even before A. I got the flat tire on my pickup and B. Hit a deer (well really the deer wound up hitting me but there was still the requisite screeching tires, terror, and "whump" of deer meeting automobile.)
Please don't let my rash actions discourage y'all from future commenting ventures.

12:31 AM, May 11, 2007

 
Blogger lobiwan said...

mllr
May 27th Colby w/John Reuben
June 2 GCK w/Darrell Evans
June 10 GCK Solo

CD (5 songs) coming out no later than May 27th

12:34 AM, May 11, 2007

 
Blogger lobiwan said...

Susan I didn't forget, but it still didn't help.
I'm so hungry!

12:36 AM, May 11, 2007

 
Blogger In the Mix said...

I appreciate that you brought to everyone's attention the hope that still resides in Greensburg despite the tragedy of the destruction. Thank you.

4:23 PM, May 13, 2007

 
Blogger nattyman said...

You might want to explain to 9 month pregnant emotional women your reason why when you have deleted their comments!

9:40 AM, May 14, 2007

 
Blogger Jenny said...

Matt,
I didn't see your now deleted comment before it was deleted. Sorry to hear you had such a bad day. I didn't expect my first comment to cause a venomous reaction, although I can't help obsessing about what you wrote now. I'm 9 months pregnant; I'll just cry it out of my system.

9:41 AM, May 14, 2007

 
Blogger lobiwan said...

in the mix...you're welcome. Please tell DANM that I am sorry I missed him this weekend.

nattyman and jenny... I think we all know that I have a tendency to say things which I don't really mean in the midst of my water-deprived rants. There was, however, a reason that the posts got deleted. This reason is that I felt the intent of my post was being missed and that these comments lead us in a direction which I did not want the discussion to go. The post really had absolutely nothing to do with Wichita and whether or not it is a nice place to live. It also had nothing to do with whether or not Greensburg would be a nice place to live. The point is that the people of Greensburg have lost everything but hope. And hope is a gift from God. The people of Greensburg are not complainers any more because they have nothing left to complain about. In Wichita (and in Garden City and in Greensburg circa two weeks ago) the news is negative because everyone still has homes and cars and jobs. The people of Greensburg are not better than the people of Wichita or anywhere else, but they have been given an incredible (if horrible and tragic) gift. They now know beyond a shadow of a doubt what is and is not truly important in life, and I envy them for that.
There is also no crying allowed here at The Plowman's Folly.
I once again extend my apologies.
lobiwan

1:40 PM, May 14, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home