Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Monday, January 21, 2008

Project Teenage Daughter Day 1

I have begun finishing a room for Anna in the basement. I figure that she will want to move to the basement by the time she becomes a teenager, which is just a shade over a decade away. Since my previous carpentry experience consists entirely of assembling furniture purchased at Target, I figure I have just enough time to get this project completed by Anna's thirteenth birthday. Today I learned that I am incapable of cutting wood either to its proper length or in a straight line. I also learned that I am very bad at "toenailing." (I am also not so great at plain old nailing either.) Luckily, I have Dad to help me. Just 60 years ago he helped my grandfather build the house that I grew up in. Dad is full of very useful advice such as "you should try hitting the nail with the hammer." Here is the extent of today's accomplishments:




Only 3770 days to go (give or take.)

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger betsyann said...

Wow. I'm so impressed and proud of you. You're a rock star and a wood star! (When we're done you can build me a pool and be a water star too)

7:12 AM, January 22, 2008

 
Blogger Jenny said...

That is great! Anna will love it, plus you'll be a fountain of knowledge for Heath when he's ready to knock out the wall between our dining room and kitchen and turn it into a bar. Prepare for lots of phone consultations!

9:29 AM, January 22, 2008

 
Blogger Susan said...

oooh. that corner of the basement is so clean! just like trading spaces. bravo. you should come to hastings and buy books about carpentry. or cds to help you work. if you had come in today, you could've gotten a free book light.

7:42 PM, January 22, 2008

 
Blogger dbilberry said...

Ok that post was way too funny. Jeff could relate. He has a nice bruise on his nail from hitting it with a hammer.

3:23 PM, February 12, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home