Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

NW32 '09 Step 2

This is the first time I have used the disk since April of 2008, when I used it to smooth out the location of an old manure pile over in the Gray Havens. The last time I actually used the disk to work a field in its entirety was April of '07, when I worked up a circle of milo stalks.

So this field has some unique problems due to the fact that the sprinkler has to "windshield wipe" around the farmstead. Because of this, it has worked rather deep ruts in places. Our goal here is to create enough loose dirt around the wheel tracks so that I can smooth these places out and fill in some low areas.And that's that. This was also the first real test of the Puma's power. I wasn't sure what to expect, since it has a PTO horsepower rating of 10 less than the 8100, and I had heard that the new (tier 2 &3) engines performed more poorly in relation to their horsepower rating than the old engines. I didn't really find that to be the case (ha, ha.) I thought the Puma did just fine once I remembered to turn on the front wheel assist.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger betsyann said...

"the case"...good one.

5:47 AM, February 25, 2009

 
Blogger linda jean said...

Have you bought yourself a "Puma" outfit for farming in your new tractor? I'm seeing t-shirt, sweat-pants, wind breaker and shoes. I bet you could get Puma socks too.

3:05 PM, February 25, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home