Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Problem with Weather Forecasts...

...is that they are often incorrect. For example on this particular night the weather forecast called for the low to be a balmy 28 with highs in the mid 50's on Tuesday. Instead I woke up to this:
Yikes! Now, with a full drop sprinkler system, ice is not nearly the concern it is with the old school spray from the top sprinklers, but it still causes one a little worry.
I made my way over to see the sprinkler still standing and running fine. I decided to wait for temps to get above freezing to shut the system off, though, in order to allow the system to drain completely.
I came back after lunch to check again (as temps were nowhere near above freezing, much less mid fifties) , and found quite a little ice buildup:





I also noticed this tower making unusually deep ruts. How 'bout that!

I also snapped this picture to prove I wasn't the only one who trusted the weatherfolk.
Ice is apparently the least of this systems worries, however. Note the "frozen" gearbox.

Anyhoo it was well after 5 in the PM before temperatures became warm enough that I was comfortable about draining the system:

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home