So before the sprinkler(s) made it around to the spot in the field where they had stockpiled the manure, we had to go through with the ripper so as to break up the compaction caused by the loader and trucks running so much in one spot (which was pretty wet from having all that manure sitting on it for so long.) Luckily dad remembered beforehand that we needed to fix the ripper.
And no, we did not did not do this beautiful piece of machining ourselves.
This is an old skool V-ripper. It really tears up the surface while it works, but has a much lower horsepower requirement to operate than the fancy-pants modern in-line rippers which really don't disturb the soil surface at all. This ripper has nine(9) shanks, and I'm guessing the biggest in-line ripper I could pull with the 8100 would have only four(4) shanks. It's a moot point in this instance, however since the surface would have to be worked anyway where the manure sat in order to make it hospitable to plant growth.
We used the disk to smooth it back out.
The fix on the ripper had taken the temper out of the steel, so the wheel bent out pretty badly upon initial use. Dad fixed it up with some wire though, and it worked perfectly.