Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fab Feb.

February favorites.




Katie celebrated the arrival of her birthday month with a couple of bran-new teeth. Looks like we are two for two on the big-ol Lobmeyer front teeth winning out over the dainty Alsop front teeth.


I celebrated by getting the window on Aggie fixed.


Anna celebrated by tearing up the school spelling bee.  She made it all the way to the top 6-- not bad for a little first grader!


The weather celebrated with a nice little rain shower.





And we had the whole Alsop clan out for some Katie birthday fun.






 On Katie's big day, we celebrated by taking pictures.  I used a stand in to make my camera and lighting adjustments.


 I think we ended up with some very nice pictures.




It was a little hectic behind the scene, though.


That night Mom and Dad and Linda came out to celebrate.  So let's see... Alsop birthday party turn out = 100%. Lobmeyer birthday party turn out = 9.09%. That's pretty poor, folks.


The next week I picked up Aggie -- complete with bran-new-rock-defying-half-fenders.




I have no idea what I was trying to accomplish on the day that this picture was taken, but between a dead battery and a clogged fuel filter, it didn't happen.


The big news in and at GCK was that we were going to have a single flight per day to DFW. Instead of several flights per day to Denver. Which is really annoying if the only place you ever travel to is Oregon. But the beginning middle and end of why everyone in town was SO in favor of this change and that we bent over backwards to accommodate a company that would not even to commit to a full year of service up front was because the DFW flight is... on... a... JET.

Who me? I'm not from a small town. I flew here ON A JET. None of them propellers like those backwoods hick towns have to rely on. No sirree we are smack dab in the modern era circa 1952. Jet jet jet jet jet.


Anyhoo check out the display at the airport.  The little easel is holding a framed copy of a magazine ad announcing the coming jet service. Cause that's how we roll here in the commercial-jet-aircraft-serviced big city.
 
I drove to Manhappenin' for a meeting. (Do you know why Manhattan is consistently the healthiest economy in the country, according to Garden City officials? 'Cause they have commercial jet service.)






I made a video of my drive with my cell phone.
You can watch the video:


I stayed with my friend Dan and his family.  I only have one picture from my time with Dan. It is a picture of a picture. It is really really funny, but Betsy said I wasn't allowed to post it.

Immediately following my meeting, I drove to Kent's house.
I made another video.
You can watch that video too:


Here is a picture from Kent's house. Yes, that is a tattoo on Peter's chest. No, it is not a permanent one.


 Then I met my family at Margaret's house and we left the kids there and Betsy and I went on a little weekend jaunt to Oklahoma City (which is also served by commercial jet aircraft.)

We did lots of fun stuff. Like going to the art museum:


And watching K-State beat Baylor.  And watching movies. And eating at a Japanese steakhouse.

And going to the botanical gardens:





I love photosynthesis.

 It was a pretty exhausting weekend for little miss preggo.



They were dismantling the last big crane from the Devon tower. I would have sat and watched all day, but Betsy thought we should get our kids back.


We drove through Wichita (jets fly there too.) on the way home so we could go through a car wash.


Katie was glad to go home so she could play with her favorite birthday present, this box:







The next day Dad and I went back to Wichita (again, lots of jets) for a meeting. The most exciting part of the meeting was listening to the two way antenna hit every beam in the ceiling on the way in and out of the parking garage.


After our meeting we went out for pizza with the Hammonds.

Later that week we staked out the probable location for something new and exciting at Lobmeyer Seed Farms. (It does not involve jets.)






The weather forecasters got to pull out their blowing dust slide extra early this year.






 Dad and I got to experience the joy of starting a 38 year old tractor with dead batteries in thirty degree weather.


And driving down the highway.


And here is the sun through the blowing dust.





One more shot of Katie.

 
And that was February.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Amazing! Sorry we gave you guys jet envy. It is pretty legit. We go to DFW at least once a year now. JET!

1:15 PM, April 17, 2012

 
Blogger In the Mix said...

I know Betsy said you couldn't post the funny picture of a picture, but now I'm really curious. Bummer about the lack of flights in the Westerly direction.

8:26 PM, April 17, 2012

 
Blogger jmlo said...

It won't be long now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyinD6ZDqeg

2:48 PM, April 19, 2012

 
Blogger Melanie said...

It's always fun to get a bunch of info in your posts...but I also end up with more questions. Like, why are mustaches so popular now? And how did Katie get such sweet long eyelashes? And why do I now have to try to decipher TWO non-words instead of just one, to prove I'm not a robot leaving a comment?

2:09 PM, April 20, 2012

 

Post a Comment

<< Home