Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Thursday, April 23, 2009

In Which lobiwan is Finally Forced to Do Some Actual Fieldwork.

One nice thing about it not raining for five(5) months, is that I didn't really have to worry about spraying for weeds until quite recently. I have been looking forward to hooking up the sprayer to the Puma ever since I got it. The Puma has several features which I theorized would make it super nice for running the sprayer. Now we can find out!
First I had to install the gadgetry. I guess CNH's idea with making their monitor brackets so high up is that it puts the monitors at eye level. I guess someone must appreciate this feature(?,) but really, I would rather be able to see out of the window.
Anyhoo, I finally got it all put together and was able to really put the Puma to the test. These are the things I learned:
1. I am super glad I didn't get the two wheel drive model (or the 2 wheel dirve 7820 I was looking at.) I don't see how I would possibly have enough weight in the front to ballast against the sprayer when full. I am relying on the brakes quite a bit to assist with turning when the tank is full as it is. (I also have to do this in the 8100 when I don't have the saddle tanks mounted.)
2. Speaking of ballast, Wylie advertises this particular model of Sprayer as being designed with 100 hp tractors in mind. I guess maybe it would work if you had a front mounted tank for ballast, but I certainly wouldn't want to use it with any tractor lighter than this Puma.
C. The Puma transmission really shifts nicely.
4. The combination of the cab suspension , the active seat suspension, and the shock absorbing feature of the 3-point hitch really make for a smooth ride through the field. I think I could probably bump my speed up to 12 mph+ (from 10 mph) in most of my fields. (needless to say, I am not looking forward to going back to using the 8100 for spraying after we are done with spring planting.)


I might have to find a different place to mount my radio, though. It is kind of nice to be able to see the whole boom...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger linda jean said...

is the window a metaphor for insight?

6:30 PM, May 05, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home