Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One Crazy Month.

Most farmers take it easy in August. This is not the case on a seed farm. Here is a look at scenes from a month of cleaning wheat. It started off with the arrival of a new auger to replace the worn out old 6 incher which Dad got second hand like 25 years ago.
The motor was still good though..
There is a lot of shuttling of wheat between bins, and this year, since we have expanded to Boots, a lot of shuttling of wheat back and forth between locations.
The worst job of all is emptying the screenings bin.
It's always nice to climb into a dirty enclosed space to do some shoveling on a hot summer's day.
I call the eight month August in honor of all the augering I get to do.

Day after day of augering and trucking and watching the cleaner.


Chris secured the use of this Funky truck to help us out. I thought the Sebelius bumper sticker was bad.
Until I saw the Jayhawk on the front.
I had some crazy late nights in august. This picture is taken before a 90 mile round trip to Boot's.
And of course everything always goes exactly as planned.

At least I was able to snooker Anna into joining me once in a while.
She stayed and played with cousins while I made another round trip.
I don't think she was the most tired person in this picture.
Auger.
And climb.
And clean.
Chris had problems too.



And now it is time to name the problem in this picture:
If you said a flat tire, you are correct.
If you said two flat tires, you are even more correct.
Sarah takes the lead with 8.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ranger said...

They actually ended up pulling nails out of and fixing 3 tires!!

11:32 AM, January 19, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home