Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Friday, November 20, 2009

Our March to the Sea.

So we were all really sleepy after swimming, so we naturally made the pregnant lady drive home. I did wake up at some point long enough to discover my waterlogged phone in the pocket of my swim trunks.
Later that evening, having removed my call phone battery and left it to dry, Betsy and I went to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland to see Much Ado About Nothing. We went early to eat our box lunches while watching the Green Show, which happened to be a local belly dancing troupe. I was pretty excited when we got there because they had a doumbek sitting on stage and I was expecting some nice live drumming, but alas, they danced to prerecorded music.
The production of Much Ado About Nothing was pretty awesome. It was very cleverly set in postwar Italy. How did they come up with that? Here is a picture I found on the internet:
Let me take this opportunity to point out how disturbing the results of a google image search for "Oregon Shakespeare Festival Much Ado About Nothing" were for yours truly.

The next day Betsy and I hit the long and windy, er, winding road for the coast. It is very difficult to carry on conversations on Oregon Highways due to the fact that trucks there can haul a maximum of not 85500, but 105500 lbs. This makes for a lot of really cool truck-trailer configurations that you just don't see back in Kansas. Anyways one truck particularly caught my eye first for its multiple axle configuration, then for its white letter tires, and finally, as we pulled ahead I saw this in my rear view mirror (representative photo):
An International LoneStar! Awesome.

We stopped in Grant's Pass for some Pizza and a cell phone charger for my miracle phone which turned right on that morning. Then it was over the mountains, through the redwoods, to Brookings Oregon.
We stayed at this little Bed and Breakfast which we picked despite the fact that it shares its name with a song in the musical Sweeny Todd.

This is why we picked it:

Here is a view of the B&B from the beach:

And some shots of the beach itself:

Apparently the ocean has weeds too, and me without my Roundup:

Another shot of the B&B from the beach:

The ocean made us happy.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger mllr said...

What a lovely place :)

9:10 PM, November 22, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home