Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

R.I.P.

There aren't a whole lot of people I "work with," so it is pretty unnerving when two of them pass away on the same weekend.

Dave

Dave was always the best part of parts runs to American Implement. He was very friendly and always managed to put me into a better mood. I was in the habit of looking for Dave whenever I entered, as he was just more fun to work with. Dave came to American Implement from Teeter's when American started started carrying Zimmatic sprinklers and there was no one who knew more about Zimmatic parts, in fact it was generally pretty useless to try to talk to anyone else about what part a guy needed for his sprinkler. I was very upset to walk into American Implement last week and see his picture on the counter when I was looking for him.

Dale

I had only get over and talk to Dale a couple of times, but they were memorable. Dale was an old school farmer in the best sense of the word and could talk your ear off about the Santa Fe trail (which ran right through his front yard) and using his divining rods to hunt for buried artifacts. He is the one who pointed out that I had unwittingly purchased a (quite visible) piece of the Santa Fe trail. When he remarked that he hardly ever saw me over farming my ground I mentioned that it was because I was no-tilling and because there aren't too many days each month that a guy can spray. I was referring to the wind speed, but he misunderstood. He got a gleam in his eye and a huge grin and said "You use the moon signs too!" I didn't have the heart to tell him no.

They will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home