Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Substitute

Substitute piano player to lobiwan: "Why don't you give me four?"
lobiwan proceeds to dial metronome; gives four clicks at 124 bpm.
SPP proceeds to play song("Trading My Sorrows") at 146 bpm.
Song falls apart at verse, due to singers inability to sing that fast.
Singers question lobiwan about tempo.
lobiwan remarks "That was pretty fast."
SPP to lobiwan: "I must have over read your tempo."
SPP to singers: "We can slow it down for you. No Problem."
SPP proceeds to play song at 142 BPM.
See above.
Singers postulate possibility of skipping verse altogether.
SPP remarks "Don't worry, Matt and I can slow it down if we need to."
lobiwan thinks non-worshipful thoughts.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

oh dear. does it make you feel any better that these little posts make me laugh? because you are spreading joy... through your suffering.

1:43 PM, July 19, 2007

 
Blogger malh said...

You are truly trading your sorrows for joy(ours that is.)

3:09 PM, July 19, 2007

 
Blogger Drrty Joe said...

Oh, Beautiful. I have a "war" story for you from the weekend of similar color. We've had a sub drummer in the band for the summer, a college professor, a Doctor. He doesn't listen to country music, because it's on the bottom rung of cool compared to the Jazz idiom. So, I have to "conduct" and cue my intellectual elder all night, and still we don't ever feel right stylistically. Willie Nelson felt alright, but let's steer clear of Fuel, Three Doors Down, and Collective Soul. Oh, I'm rambling. I'll shut it.

5:49 PM, July 19, 2007

 
Blogger mllr said...

Can you call in a different substitute next time?

11:56 PM, July 21, 2007

 
Blogger Drrty Joe said...

P.S. RPM r0x0r.

3:10 AM, July 23, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home