Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Monday, August 09, 2010

GCW 43-52. The end of October.

So... maybe it wasn't a good idea to keep Dad out until a quarter to one... sometimes people who are exhausted pass out...

And here we have a look at a problem. This is volunteer wheat that was growing in the corn. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, because you can just spray it. But the funny thing about spraying plants is that it doesn't work if the plants aren't actively growing. And most plants aren't doing a whole lot of growing if the temperature is below 60 degrees. And have you noticed it was kind of a cold October?
After sitting around watching it be cold and rainy, we decided that we had better get the platform ready to cut some milo. As I'm sure you remember, it needed a new sickle bar.
Here we have a nice photo of some worn out sickle guards. I wonder if we should replace them too... nah.



On Monday the 26th, we carved some pumpkins. Anna started with a careful drawing of what she wanted to accomplish.
Then she cleaned her pumpkin.
She loved that part.
There were some artistic moderations when she transferred her design to the pumpkin...
Linda was there too.
And so was Abby.

Four Punks and a Pun'kin with pumpkins.

The next day it was back to work on the header. We put the milo guards on.
Then I warmed up the truck so I could start it.
And hauled some seed up to Boots's'.

And made it back in time to change a tire. (#15)

The next morning was pretty.
Followed by another overcast day. Still too wet to plant, but I went ahead and applied some fertilizer for the wheat. Hopefully this will be the last time to stream on my wheat fertilizer in corn stalks like this... Some discussion here.

I noticed this antifreeze leak at the end of the day. I even took a picture of it. Probably so I would remember to fix it. Pretty good thinkin'. What could possibly go wrong?
It's not like I was preoccupied with other things, like rehearsing/performing in a musical on a nightly basis.


On Thursday the 29th, we went to Anna's school for her Halloween party. She was a "Bumblebee ballerina."


After school we went to swim lessons.
On Friday the 30th, I thought I would help around the house. I decided to do laundry. I put a load in the washing machine and took Anna to school. While I was at lunch ("tacos" on a Friday!?, whoa this was a long time ago...) Betsy called to tell me that it smelled like the house was on fire.

It turns out that the house wasn't on fire, just the washing machine. And not the whole washing machine, just the belt.
Apparently screwdrivers can jam washing machines. Who knew?
The next day was Halloween proper. You can read about it here. I didn't attend as I was playing in the musical. Notice how Betsy points out how incredibly late her post about Halloween is. Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha. Hum...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Abby said...

Yay for blogs!

8:14 AM, August 10, 2010

 
Blogger jmlo said...

Dad's injury looks like a joke...a scary I am going to pretend my head is a baseball--which isn't really that funny sort of joke...
Isn't it nice to remember that it was cool once.

11:56 AM, August 10, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home