Soils, Syncopations, Solitude

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

In Which Wheat Gets Planted (GCW 56-62.)

So here we are to Wednesday the 4th of November, and it is finally time to plant the circle Over East. But first, we had a very special event. The last tire repair of the year. Which brings us to the grand total of... 16! Congratulations, betsyann! Spot on!

Now let's plant some wheat!




There was a slight snag.
I'd never clogged this drill before, so it took ,me a little bit to figure out exactly how to take the seed tube apart.
And when I got back in the tractor it was overheating. Apparently I forgot. So then I got to take the tractor apart. Unfortunately I didn't quite get it figured out before I had to go to town for the play's last dress rehearsal before the last three performances.

So the next morning I was still looking for the source of my leak. I also had the vague feeling of deja vu.

Turns out it was an itty bitty hose which was leaking. This is after I took the hose off.

And so I was back at it.


I went ahead and planted the TAM 111 on the north side where the volunteer wheat was. I wasn't really sure if the volunteer would make it through the winter since it had already jointed, and I figured that we had a whole quarter planted up by Boots's so we would have plenty even if we had to cancel this field for Certification. It's not like there could be any scenario under which I would suddenly need an incredible amount of TAM 111, right?
So I spent the day planting.
With the time change, I was able to work until after sunset before I had to leave for the musical.
The next morning (the 6th) I took a load of milo in (Chris and Dad were working on the milo while I planted)...
...and went back to planting.

The day ended pretty much, nay, exactly the same.
As I was taking in a truckload the next morning, I noticed that someone had had a very, very bad day yesterday. Nothing says bad day like a hopper-full of milo dribbled out over a half mile on the road.

On the way back I stopped to fix the lights on the trailer, which didn't want to stay on.
Luckily I keep a nice stash of zip ties in the 8100.

Then I went over to help Dad and Chris move to the far side of the field at the Gray Havens.


It was the best milo harvest ever. Really.

And my wheat I had dusted in was coming up nicely.
All done planting wheat (again on NOVEMBER 7th) I got to come back over and run the combine just as the sun was setting. And I promptly slugged the rotor.
While I was checking the belts in the back I found that a hydralic hose was leaking.
I took this picture hoping it would show me where the leak was. It did not.


And then I went and played the last show at the college. The next day was Sunday, but I decided I had better go get the combine operational.
Yeah, I slugged it all right.
I even got to get out the big 'ol de-slug-in' wrench.


On Monday I was looking forward to finishing up milo harvest. Nobody had bothered to shut the shop doors in like a week, and so this owl had decided to move in.

It sure would be nice to get the milo done.

But it wasn't to be.

So the next morning (Tuesday the 10th) we braved the muds of Gray County to retrieve the combine and grain cart, since it was a little drier back home.
It was a long, muddy drive.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger betsyann said...

What do I win? What do I win?!

1:14 PM, August 18, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home